Monday, February 27, 2006

'Weird Al' Yankovic IS Talented

Just Because It's Mainstream Doesn't Mean it Sucks
Article Last Updated: 02/26/2006 9:00 AM PST
Sumana Harihareswara writes for Bay Area Living each week. You can write to her at sumana@crummy.com.

Quote:
>>WHEN I was in high school, I went to see Weird Al Yankovic perform at the local county fair/asparagus festival. I thoroughly enjoyed the show. But what sticks in my mind is the spectacle of three young men, standing in a circle toward the back of the audience, performing line dances and lip-syncing to every song.

Yes, Weird Al sang perhaps 20 songs that night, and they knew the lyrics to every single one by heart.

At the time, I thought, "How weird are THOSE guys?" And I made no connection between my rather unkind judgment and the amusement that my math teacher showed, 10 minutes later, when he saw me leaving the fairgrounds clutching an 8-by-10 glossy of Weird Al impishly winking at the camera.<<

Good write-up. Check it out.

-Ken

No comments: