Wednesday, November 09, 2022

I Recommend You Watch Weird: The Al Yankovic Story

Here are my overdue thoughts about "Weird: The Al Yankovic Story."

It's very well done. Four Brooms(TM)

Daniel Radcliffe did an excellent job. You'd never know this is the same guy who was Harry Potter. That's a sign of a good actor.

Of course, I'm a huge "Weird Al" fan, but people can like this movie even if they haven't followed his career or cared much about him one way or the other. That being said, the people who will enjoy this movie the most are Weird Al fans and/or people who've watched other movies about musical acts, including, but not limited to, "This Is Spinal Tap," "Purple Rain," "The Doors," "Bohemian Rhapsody," "Rocketman," "A Star is Born," etc. There are "Easter eggs" throughout; just about anything seen, said, or done is a shout out to Weird Al fans or a callback to other movies.

I had an experience watching this movie that I haven't had with any other movie. It's a bit of spoiler, so I will put a jump below just in case you haven't seen the movie or don't know much about it and want to see it. You really should see it. It is currently running for free on the Roku Channel (supported by advertisements, so there are ad breaks). You don't have to have Roku. You can view it using a web browser.

Potential mild spoiler below...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Although there are some real biographical plot elements, part of the humor is that most of the movie is entirely fictional. I've met Al and his band multiple times. I've met Al's mother. I've met Dr. Demento. It was a unique moviewatching experiences for me to see extensive fictional portrayals of these real people in a major motion picture millions of people are watching. As expected, there are people who think at least some of the fictional content is based on reality. That will probably never go away entirely. I haven't had the same experience seeing "serious," nonfiction portrayals of people I've met.

No comments: